History & Mission
Dance opportunities at NC State prior to 1990 consisted of the NCSU Dance Company (founded in 1987), a few beginning level technique classes offered by the Department of Physical Education (now Department of Health and Exercises Studies) and DanceVisions (a student organization founded in 1977). The Dance Program joined Arts NC State in 1990 and is currently home to the university academic dance companies –– the NCSU Dance Company and the Panoramic Dance Project –– and later expanded its programming to academic dance classes, master classes, cross-disciplinary collaborations and community projects.
The NC State Dance Program educate, empower and inspire dancers and choreographers to find and express their creative voice.
In the NC State Dance Program, you’ll find an energetic and diverse community of students, faculty and guest choreographers. Here, we do more than teach technique—we take a content-driven, research-based approach to creating beautiful, meaningful art.
Our curriculum focuses on choreography and performance, combining personalized attention, artistic development and academic rigor.
- At the heart of the Dance Program are our two student companies: the NCSU Dance Company, a modern dance company nationally acclaimed by the American College Dance Association, and the Panoramic Dance Project, a company that explores diverse dance styles, including African, hip-hop, Latin, contemporary, tap and jazz.
- Annual formal concerts in Stewart Theatre featuring choreographic work by faculty, guest artists and NC State students.
- Academic courses, including dance composition and independent study
- A rich selection of master classes, free and open to the NC State community
- Informal showings, including Independent Study in Dance Class Showing and collaboration between artist in residence and NC State students.
- Guest choreographer residencies to enable collaboration between highly experienced guest artists and NC State students
- Cross-disciplinary and cross-campus collaborations. The Dance Program participates in several projects throughout the year, most recently performing at the Smithsonian’s creativity and innovation festival ACCelerate, State of the Sciences with Dancing Chemical Reactions, the NC Museum of History and partnering with Burning Coal Theatre Company on The State of Dance.
- Schools outreach & programs: we lead workshops at local elementary, middle and high schools as well as provide complementary group tickets to formal concerts.
- Community engagement. The most recent collaborations include Flash Mob at North Hills Beach Music Festival and conducting master classes at NACADA Conference Opening, the Global Community for Academic Advising.
To learn more about our goals and initiatives and to see highlights from the past year, download our 2014-2015 annual report.
Other Ways to Experience Dance at NC State
- NC State LIVE, one of the six programs of Arts NC State, brings world-class artists to NC State campus, including national and international dance companies –– NC State students receive 75% off general admission to their performances.
- Dance Program faculty teach the dance track in the Arts Forum (AVS 100) for Arts Village students.
- The Department of Health and Exercise Studies offers a dance minor as well as additional dance classes, including modern, ballet, jazz, social dance and clogging.
- There is a variety of student-run dance clubs at NC State. Please visit Get Involved at NC State to learn more.
Stay in Touch
Get performance updates, master classes announcements, auditions information, special offers and other Dance Program news. Join the Dance Program monthly newsletter, connect with us on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter, or email us at email@example.com.