History & Mission
Dance opportunities at NC State prior to 1990 consisted of the State Dance Company (formally the NCSU Dance Company, founded in 1987), a few beginning level technique classes offered by the Department of Physical Education (now Department of Health and Exercise Studies) and DanceVisions (a student organization founded in 1977). The Dance Program joined Arts NC State in 1990 and is currently home to the university academic dance companies –– the State Dance Company and the Panoramic Dance Project –– and later expanded its programming to academic dance classes, master classes, cross-disciplinary collaborations and community projects.
The NC State Dance Program educates, empowers and inspires dancers and choreographers to find and express their creative voice.
In the NC State Dance Program, you’ll find an energetic and diverse community of students, faculty and guest choreographers. Here, we do more than teach technique—we take a content-driven, research-based approach to creating beautiful, meaningful art. Our curriculum focuses on choreography and performance, combining personalized attention, artistic development and academic rigor.
- At the heart of the Dance Program are our two student companies: the State Dance Company, a modern dance company, and the Panoramic Dance Project, a company that explores a range of dance styles, including African, hip-hop, Latin, contemporary, tap and jazz.
- Annual formal concerts in Stewart Theatre featuring choreographic work by faculty, guest artists and NC State students.
- Academic courses, including dance composition, hip-hop, and independent study
- A rich selection of master classes, free and open to the NC State community
- Informal showings, including student work and open rehearsals with artists in residence.
- Guest choreographer residencies to enable collaboration between highly experienced guest artists and NC State students
- Repertory Experience
- Cross-disciplinary and cross-campus collaborations. The Dance Program participates in several projects throughout the year, most recently performing at the Smithsonian’s creativity and innovation festival ACCelerate, State of the Sciences with Dancing Chemical Reactions, the NC Museum of History and partnering with Burning Coal Theatre Company on The State of Dance.
- Student Affiliated Organizations – The Dance Program works closely with two dance organizations, that are tied to the Dance Program’s mission, Fusion and DanceVisions, serving as a resource in a variety of ways.
- Schools outreach & programs: we lead workshops at local elementary, middle and high schools as well as provide complementary group tickets to formal concerts.
- Community engagement. The most recent collaborations include Flash Mob at North Hills Beach Music Festival and conducting master classes at NACADA Conference Opening, the Global Community for Academic Advising.
Stay in Touch
Get performance updates, master classes announcements, auditions information, special offers and other Dance Program news. Join the Dance Program monthly newsletter, connect with us on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter, or email us at email@example.com.